Friday, January 31, 2014

My First Blog Post ...


First, allow me to say hello, and thank you for visiting my blog!

My name is Dawn, and just as many of you within this Social Media Strategies & Tactics class, I too have never written a blog. This is not to say I think blogs are silly, or stupid, or anything else ... just that I have never written one myself. However, I have read a few hear and there while doing research for my previous classes within the Integrated Marketing Communications program.

I will tell you a little bit about myself, about why this class is so important to me, and then I will talk a little bit about what to expect in my blog.

I am 47 years young, and I have worked within the following areas of interest: Military, Music Industry, Public Safety, and am currently working in Education. I am looking to transition into another field, and I thought it would be a good idea to obtain my Master's Degree before doing so. Therefore, this is why I am in the IMC program here at Marist.

All of the classes within this program have been very informative so far, and I have learned a great deal from all of them. However, for the most part, the classes have been a review and refresher for me, as I have worked within Marketing, Advertising, and Product Development, so much of the information I already had experience with, but gaining the updated models and strategies was a huge benefit of this program. But, THIS class is the main reason I chose this program. This may sound like I am sucking up to the Professor, but I assure you this is not the case. In fact, and he can attest to it, I came very close to dropping this class for a few personal reasons. So, as you can see, I decided not to drop the class.

Being older than most of you, I needed to learn to be like you. I did not grow up in a world of technology, and thus I fell off the technology train a few years back. So this class is the one that will provide that ticket to get back on the train, so to speak. Feel free to kick me in the back end from time to time if I am not as 'social' as I need to be in order to join the ranks of social media guru ... but please be gentle to your elder. ;)

As for my blog, I am going to be incorporating a few different ideas in order to capture your attention, and hopefully your following. I am not going to give away my secrets, but let's just say it will be 'different'. And, if you haven't noticed by my discussion posts, I have a tendency to pull up my soap box and get long winded at times, so get ready for some good conversation!

Here's to a fun class with lots of learning for me!

Dawn ... and my guest blogger, Mazie!